Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving Thanks

Every Thanksgiving Day, I take time to reflect on my pretty damn wonderful life and count my blessings. This usually means I run out of fingers and must count on my toes as well. And the cat's toes.

If you are an American, you can probably do this, too. Go ahead. Give it a whirl.

So here are some of the things I'm thankful for, this November 22, 2012.

I'm thankful that Obama gets a second chance to demonstrate how Democrats make better Presidents than Republicans. Every single time. Lincoln excepted.

I'm thankful that a majority of our citizens do not base their votes on skin color, ethnicity, sexual orientation or lies.

I'm thankful that billions of dollars spent to have the opposite effect were well wasted.

I'm thankful that two wars are winding down and that most people are not eager to watch other people fight another one.

I'm thankful that those so-called minorities realized how powerful they really are.

I'm thankful that what used to be the majority will just have to get used to not getting their way. Sorry old, straight, white, male, racist fucks.

I'm thankful that Fox News is losing viewership. This is either due to their audience wising up or jumping out of very high windows.

I'm thankful for Nate Silver and his 538 Blog for keeping my blood pressure low for several months.

I'm thankful that Republicans seem to have never discovered this preventative medicine.

I'm thankful that I still live in a majestically blue state. Good job, Hawaii. Republicans, flights leave back to the mainland hourly. Aloha.

I'm thankful that Sarah Palin, Joe the Plumber, Allen West, Todd Akin, Joe Walsh (the talentless one), Richard Mourdock and several other Tea Party elite are soon to become embarrassing footnotes in American history.

I'm thankful they will be embarrassing footnotes for the GOP. Every damn one of them, for years to come.

I'm supremely thankful that I do not have to use the word "President" followed by the word "Romney." Ever.

I'm thankful that the left, of which I am a charter member, has finally grasped the concept of incrementalism. Beats the hell out of all or nothing, since we usually end up with nothing.

I'm thankful that pot legalization is no longer a pipe dream.

I'm thankful that I have lived long enough to see the first Black president and believe I will see the first woman president before I shuffle off.

I'm thankful that I'm not a Republican. Turkey goes much better with cranberry sauce than crow.

©2012 Kona Lowell

No comments:

Post a Comment