Thursday, February 2, 2012

Romney Clears Up "Very Poor" Comment

Adelson, NV. Presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his campaign are working feverishly to undo the gaffe that drew condemnation from the likes of even conservatives such as National Review's Jonah Goldberg, The Weekly Standard's John McCormack and radio host Rush Limbaugh. The quote that sparked all the trouble was Mr. Romney's admittance to CNN that “I’m not concerned about the very poor, we have a safety net there.”

Mr. Limbaugh responded, “The safety net is one of the biggest cultural problems we’ve got! We had better be worried about it just like we had better get angry over Obamacare. Obamacare is worth getting mad about. Mitt said that it wasn’t. This biz, ‘I’m not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there’? Right, the safety net is contributing to the destruction of their humanity and their futures! “

So today Mr. Romney appeared before journalists in Nevada to explain what he really meant.

"My remarks were taken out of context, and on top of that, I misspoke, ha ha ha. I did not mean "the very poor," but very poor circus performers, ha ha ha. We have all spent many enjoyable evenings at the circus, eating cotton corn dogs, hot fudge waffles and caramel frogs, and as you know if you're a circus buff like me, some of the performers are very good and some are not. Now when a tightrope walker is not particularly skilled, he is likely to fall off the tightrope, but fortunately there is a safety net below him so that he will not be injured. That's why I'm not concerned about him. And if that safety net has any structural issues, I will personally repair it."

"So you will be following the circus around the country, Governor?"

"I think I'm already doing that, Chuck."

Meanwhile, Rick Santorum is playing the last 5 minutes of Spartacus on a continuous loop for his campaign workers.

©2012 Kona Lowell

No comments:

Post a Comment